Monday, October 10, 2011

You Need a Sledgehammer.

Hey All,    There are some people that fail to see things, especially when it comes to themselves.  In some ways they are naive, in others, things that are hidden jump out at them.  It's just how their brains are wired.........it can lead to some interesting outcomes.
        It was January 1996.  I was a regular attendee at church and Charlie was involved in the youth group. I sang in the choir and attended extra church functions on a regular basis.
       I had met Mark and Becky at church and would see them on regular basis at different events.   I was a single parent at this time, which is not unheard of for fathers these days. I had opportunity to talk with both of them on many occasions and in one of these, I revealed my story of being a divorced dad.  Becky asked the usual questions that many women have asked me regarding my circumstances.  When she got to the dating part,  I answered that I wasn't, which was true.  I had become extremely "gun shy" by this time in my life as do many from dates that don't work out or relationships that don't end well.  I would view everyone as a friend and was so naive that if a woman was showing an interest in me that I wouldn't notice. I told Becky that woman would have to hit me with sledgehammer to get my attention.  I just thought these women were being nice.  Believe it or not some people consider me intelligent.......................just not when women were concerned.
       Becky's sister had also attended our church.  Her name is Penny, and she had introduced herself to me and in usual fashion I treated her as anyone else.............friendly.  Of course, I didn't notice the way Penny looked at me and when she made soup for me when I was sick.............I thought she was just being nice........ um, Duh. This went on for some time, until the Sunday when Becky who was sitting behind me handed me a manila folder.  I opened it and there was an artist sketch of Penny holding a sledgehammer, which a friend of hers from work had drawn for her.  It took me a second to realize what this meant as Becky sat there with a big smile.
       Penny and I have been married for 14 years now.  I can't say for sure how things today would be if it wasn't for that sledgehammer.  I do know that I'm glad that somebody pointed me in the right direction. Come to think of it.................that sketch did look pretty intimidating..................just kidding!     I love you Penny.
                                       Until Next time......................God Bless.

No comments: