Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Sgt Morales

Hey All,   Everyone makes mistakes....................like "what the hell was I thinking?"  We are embarrassed by them and hope no one notices or finds out.
       Sgt Morales ran the maintenance floor in the motorpool of HHC 3rd Brigade.  He always had his uniform  squared away and always seemed happy and enthusiastic.  We all liked him.................but he wasn't perfect.  It was a sunny Saturday and I was sitting at my desk in the barracks writing a letter home..........no email back in the dark ages.  I was wrapped up in my thoughts as  I put pen to paper............I was lost in thought as I wrote, tuning out my room mates, the music and everything else.  Sgt Morales was married and lived off post with his family, but  he stopped by the barracks for some reason and was just checking in with us.  I had not even notoiced he was even there...........I was was so engrossed in my thoughts, with my eyes down, writing home.  I heard my name and looked up..................right into the barrel of a chrome revolver 18 inches from my face.  The cylinder turned as it was cocked and the hammer fell.....................to a very loud click.  I looked past the gun to see that it was in SGT Morales' hand and he was grinning.  I was a PFC at the time........and I blew a gasket.  I told him that he was leaving right now.................if he didn't leave I'd throw him down the F****** steps, take his gun from him and stick it where the sun don't shine. I told him if he ever put a gun in my face again it better be loaded because I was going beat the crap out of him.  He pulled rank on me then........made threats about insubordination.   I told him that was a good idea,  lets do it right now, with the  CQ.  He wasn't permitted to have a personal firearm in the barracks............let alone stick it in someones face.  Would I have gotten in trouble for my comments? Likely.  Did I care?  Not a bit......................he would have gotten in more trouble than me.     The following Monday, SGT Morales called me aside and apologized for his actions...........said it would have been his career if I filed a formal complaint..............thanked me for not doing so and asked if there were any hard feelings.  I told him I had none and he offered his hand, which I shook.  Back to business as usual.
        I came very close to letting out that animal I had caged up inside...........there would have been no turning back. I was among fellow soldiers...................but I couldn't let my guard down for a minute.
                  Until next time........................God Bless.

No comments: