Saturday, November 5, 2011

Breakfast in Bed

Hey All,  I know that many would like to get breakfast in bed..............as long as you're not in the hospital.  A little pampering at times is good for you...............makes you feel appreciated..................special.
      November 1979.  I was home on leave before reporting to Fort Lewis.  I didn't have drivers license as of yet...........I didn't get a state license until I was 24 years old.  Tommy would take me places I needed to go while at home or Dad would if he was around.  I had been staying at Grandmoms for a couple of days as .Mom was in usual form and I didn't want to be there.  She called me while drunk and was bad mouthing Dad.................I told her I didn't want to hear it................... I know he wasn't perfect...........but neither was she.  I hung up on her and she called back......I warned her, but again she went on about Dad................and I hung up.   Grandmom looked at me without comment.......................so I explained I'd had enough of this while living at home...............time for a change.
      Dad got in off the road one morning, a  couple of days later and I got a ride home with him.  When we walked in the back door the the house was a shambles...........................food on the floor and scattered over the counter tops..................table and counter tops loaded with dirty dishes etc.  Dad walked around looking things over when Joe told him Mom had been on a three day bender and was in bed.......................it was about two in the afternoon by this time.  Dad picked up the phone and called Moms' Mother.................he said"if you don't believe your daughter's an alcoholic, then you should come up now and see for yourself".  I was surprised...............I thought that I would never see something like this.
        An hour later, my Grandparents showed up..................along with a few of Moms' sisters.  They checked on Mom in her bedroom...............................and then proceeded to clean her entire house....................and yes........ they made her breakfast in bed.................like she was ill or bedridden. Yeah, she needed to be pampered, drinking is such hard work.  While this was going on......................my Grandparents, Dad and I were talking in the basement.  My Grandmother stated" your mother is not an alcoholic. It's no wonder she drinks with kids like you"!   Once again the anger from deep inside rushed to the surface.  I said" I'll be a son of bitch if I'll stand here and let you blame us kids for her drinking. You heard about her being an alcoholic when I lived with you and called me a liar!  The only one to blame for this is Mom"!  Well, you could have heard a pin drop.  My father looked at me as if for the first time and my Grandparents stood in shocked silence. That was a side of me before unseen by them................ the mouse roared.  I immediately felt like I did something wrong and I stomped up the stairs and went outside.  It was how Dad found out that I smoked..............I had to light up,  I was furious................emotional.  Dad came out a minute later and stood beside me......................he asked "  was it true what you said down there?"    I guess it surprised him.....................he had informed his in-laws on different occasions of Moms drinking habits and they refused to believe him.  I guess he must have been a liar too.
        Mom was an alcoholic and drank until her death on March 18th, 2005.  She had started having episodes of dimentia.............a few times she thought I was my father.  I avoided my mother for the most part.  I would only come to visit her if she promised to stay sober for the duration..........I didn't visit very often.  Enough for today.
                              Until next time.............................God Bless.

No comments: