Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Class Trip

Hey All,  In the 5th grade,  I had Mr Davis as my homeroom teacher at Crooked Billet Elementary.  We were all were going on a class trip........I'm sure that many of you can relate to this experience......................some of you...........explicitly to this one.
       I realize that everyone's life is as different as night from day............we experience things from totally foreign perspectives,  based on our specific individual lives and persons.  There is no right or wrong way.  That said, I also realize that there is a standard to which we all use as a gauge of sorts for what is considered acceptable or normal.  We are taught a baseline to which we all start from.............we try to find our individuality from that point.  No,   I'm not a psychiatrist.  I just see things...........I don't understand,   nor can I explain why.
        I approached Mr Davis with what I considered a personal and very uncomfortable position.  We were all as class,  making preparations for our class trip.   I wanted to go with the rest of my class, but, I had a certain set of circumstances,  that caused me to be embarrassed and uncomfortable.  I wasn't sure how to even talk about it. 
       I was one of those kids, who had yet to stop urinating during the night........yes, I still wet the bed.  Many different remedies were tried to try and correct me.  I was wakened during the night to go.......was given a time at which I was not permitted to have any fluid intake............nothing worked.  There was a train of thought that, I was just lazy.........so, my stained bedsheets were hung out the window for my peers in the neighborhood to see.  My heart skipped a beat when I rounded the corner and saw them hanging from my window.............yes, some of the kids in neighborhood saw them and made comments...........not favorable ones. I was even diapered at the age of 8, by my Mom's mom, to try and shame me into correct behavior.  
      I explained my circumstances to Mr Davis and he paused.............I'm pretty sure this was a first for him.  He assured me that he would make sure that certain precautions would be made for me.  I wanted to go.........but in the end.............I decided that I couldn't risk going and having a problem..................nothing else worked........what would happen if I went on this trip and I was status quo?  I would never hear the end of it.
       I informed Mr Davis that I was not going along.  I missed out,  but knew it was the only choice.  I have heard, that kids in my particular circumstances, have a problem in the area of bed wetting a late age.   It was a long time ago....................................I stopped as if by magic, at the age of 12.  No special circumstances...........no rhyme or reason.  I wish I had answers for the why's of some of my abnornal experiences............but, I don't believe I'll learn the reasons this side of heaven.  I als know that I'm not the only kid to experience this.  ...particularly kids that experience trauma........in one form or another.
                 Until next time.....................God Bless.

No comments: