Friday, September 16, 2011

A Lesson for Life

Hey ,  My memory for this day comes from childhood. People and pets have such an impact and influence on our lives.  This is one of those memories.
    I was about 8 years old and my older brother was around 12.  There are 3 of us boys and we spent a great deal of time down at the creek near our home when we were growing up.  Joe usually took me along with him on these trips when he didn't take his friend Fred.  It was springtime and we roamed the creek from Main St in Hatboro all the way to the Old Mill Inn at the other end of town.  We followed the creek all the way.
    On this particular day we came across a ducks nests with eggs in it near the creek.   Joe decided that it would be cool to take a couple of eggs home and hatch them and have them as pets.  Of course our parents knew nothing of this fantastic idea.  Joe and I each claimed ownership of 1 egg and took them home and put them on a vent over the boiler in the cellar.  I would check on them whenever the notion came to mind.  It was fascinating to watch the eggs rocking on top of the vent as the ducklings formed inside.  I was really excited.
   One morning before school I went and checked on our eggs and had arrived to find my baby duck half out of its' shell.   I had enough time to stay and watch as rest of this little miracle as it unfolded.  It was magic!  At the time I didn't realize that since I was the first thing the duckling saw that it thought I was its' Mom. Unfortunately,  Joes' egg didn't hatch.
    I have no idea if it was a he or a she but I named it Susie. She followed me everywhere!  If she couldn't see me she would call for me. Peep, Peep, Peep!  Sometimes I would hide from her and watch her run around  with her feet slapping the linoleum, her head high and peeping away as she looked for me. We would play in the backyard and even watch TV together.

   One day while I was at school, Mom took Susie out and let her run around the backyard.  Mom wasn't good at paying close attention to things and Susie must have gotten into something.  When I got home from school Susie wasn't very happy to see me.  She kind of just sat there looking around, not moving much even when I took her outside. Over the next couple of hours I watched as Susie slowly declined and finally died.
   I was heartbroken to say the least.  I wailed so loud a few kids in the neighborhood told me they thought I was dying.  I went out front of our house and sat on the curb with tears still running down my face.  Bobby  lived across the street and he was much older than me, but still a teenager.  He came over and sat down on the curb next to me and asked me what was wrong.  I explained it all to him and Bobby very gently talked with me about love and heaven and how I would get to see Susie again.  He soothed my broken heart that day
   Thank You Bobby Hanson.  I will always remember your gentle kindness to a little boy.  You taught me a lesson in humanity and manhood.
   That's enough for today.    Until the next time........  God Bless.

No comments: