Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Saying Good-Bye

Hey All,   We all have times when we say a farewell to important people in our lives.  How many of us, have not seen friends from school or our childhood friends since...........................well, a long time ago.  We all know, that life is a journey full of so many twists and turns.................but, there are no do-overs.................we only get one chance at life.  The  memories are yours to keep in your heart and take with you where ever you may go............some are the most precious of unexpected  keepsakes................ captured in your heart.
     On May 16th, 1986, my father passed away.  I sat at the dining room table at Grandmoms house................looking over my shoulder at my fathers ashen gray face.  Out of nowhere , I heard a voice that said he was going to die.  I shook the thought from my mind....................I reasoned, of course, we all will..................someday.  His health was bad..........................we all knew this.  What I didn't know as that he was ready for it............................had accepted it as  the inevitable conclusion of his life.....................and he knew it would be soon.
     I went to work that day, just as I had many times before.  Dad wasn't feeling very well and was a bit surly as he lumbered his way up the lane to the garden.  I told Charlie to go along with Grandpop as I got in my car..............Dad turned around as Charlie called to him and said, "what do you want?"  " I want to be with you Grandpop" came the reply.  "Oh alright!  Come on then!"   Off they went...............Dad postured a lot as a gruff kind of guy.................but, he loved that boy and was so proud to introduce him where ever they went, as his Grandson.    I think he had a hard time expressing some of his emotions, as many men do............especially when they had to do with the tender side of his heart.  We all learn to be who and what we are from the example set for us by others.................. his father was an alcoholic, that example ..............sucks.  Dad, had to figure out fatherhood on his own................................so did Tom and I.
       I got a call at work, telling me that Dad had passed away.................................30 minutes after I had left him.  Charlie was with him as well as Grandmom.......................he died about 80 feet from the bedroom he was born in................ he was 54 years old.  At the hospital, Dad was put in a room behind the ER....................they were waiting for his heart to stop fluttering before they could pronounce him deceased.  As I stood by his bed , I realized that this was near to last time I would have to say what was on my mind...............................for years.
    So, I leaned over him and said "You wouldn't let me do this when you were alive" and I leaned over and kissed him on the cheek ."I love you Dad."
     Life is hard enough,  without making it harder........................on ourselves.  If there's someone in your life that you love, appreciate or care for.....................tell them.............while you both can share what it really means to you.  I know.............with some folks it's ..................difficult.  Like a porcupine.................sometimes , you're the porcupine.  It's never , ever, to late for a hug and to say I love you...................I can guarantee, you'll regret it if  you miss the chance and it never returns.
                         Until next time..............................God Bless.

No comments: