Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Loan Shark

Hey All,   I believe that most people have found themselves, where they ran out of money before they ran out of month. Sometimes, when that happens, you have a friend you can go to...................we had Rich.    He wasn't anybody's friend if you didn't repay your debt on payday...............with 50% interest.
       1980,Fort Lewis,Washington State.   Rich was a tall man of about 6'4" and I'd guess he'd go about 240 pounds.  He worked in the motorpool with us and was a very enterprising guy.  He didn't go out much so he always had money and he discovered how to make even more money..........almost by accident.  One of us was short of cash near the end of the month and desperately needed money.....just for a few days until payday.  Rich had money and he offered to loan it with the understanding that on payday he was repaid.......with 50% interest.  The desperate man agreed and a new business venture was born.  It wasn't long before the everybody in the motorpool, most of the 2/47th Infantrys' enlisted,  as well as some of the Officers, knew of Richs' loan program and became clients.  Rich was never lost money, as far as anyone knew, because of his size ..............and fear for their continued good health.  When a loan agreement was made, Rich would always tell his clients that he better have it by close of business payday.................as he leaned over you........"I better not have to come looking for you".  The loans themselves were not legally permitted.............it was against regulations, especially for the Officers................they knew this and didn't need to be threatened.
     It was Friday, payday, and as of this time, I wasn't one of Richs' clientele.........yet.  I came back from the Px with munchies and soda after work.  I was walking up to the barracks and passed Rich as stood on the sidewalk...........................waiting for the sheep to come for their shearing with their cash.  He reached out, grabbed my grocery bag and asked "what did you buy me?'.  As he rummaged through my bag, I asked politely for its return.......................to which he asked me" what are going to do about it? Nothing, So,just shut the F*** up".  Well, I, being of sound body.of only 160 pounds.............. but not of sound mind...........put my arms around Rich from behind and lifted him off the ground and asked for my bag again.  Oh, he agreed to return my bag alright.........then he chased me up the flight of stairs as I ran for the safety of my room.  He caught me on the 2nd floor landing and the grabbed me by the throat.  He backed me up so that I was leaning halfway over the railing, squeezing my throat as my face turned red.  He said " who the F*** do you think you are?  Don't you ever touch me again.  Do you understand me?"  At first, I managed to say  "go to hell".............but through his persistent persuasion, that is, my back was killing me as I was bent over the railing and I really didn't like the look of the concrete sidewalk below...............if he let go, I wasn't going to bounce.  I squeaked out that I understood.  I, also being of stubborn German decent,  decided to tell Rich what I really thought........................ but, only when he got down to the first landing and I was at my floor.  He came running back up, but by then I was in my door and had it locked.  He pounded on it for a little while as he shouted threats, but finally left.  What I hadn't realized, was that in front of everyone in view......................I hurt his image by picking him up and standing up to him.
    Months had passed.  Mike and I were coworkers in the motorpool and eventually became roommates in an apartment off post.  Mike had gone to Rich for a loan as we were ones short of cash..................but, Rich held us both responsible for the loan when he knew what it was for.   Payday came and I went and paid the debt...............so did Mike.  When we found out we both had paid, I went to Rich demanding the return of  my money.....................I'm sure you can guess what his response was.  Well, there was no way to force him to give it back.......................so I went to our Company's Commanding Officer and reported Rich and his illegal loan program.   Rich wasn't  a happy man..................he was in up to his ears with the CO and his loan program was now history.
     Rich probably could have continued indefinitely..................if he had just returned my money.  I was assured there would be no retaliation for informing on Rich.........I was to inform the CO immediately if there was.   Greed is a powerful sin...............as I'm sure Rich has learned.
                                   Until the next time.................................God Bless.
       

No comments: