Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Irish Twins

Hey All,         Many have heard of Irish Twins..................it refers to two children born with a short span between their births.  Tommy and I are like this at 13 months apart.........................I am the older one.  It is written that "a friend loves at all times and a brother is born for adversity".....................God knows what you need and when you'll need it.
      Tommy and I did so much together as children and young adults.  As kids, we rode our bicycles where ever we wanted to go.  It may have been to the Park at Hatboro Pool or Eaton Park across the road from it.  We fished and swam in the deep holes in the creek or caught minnows to go fishing...........................sometimes with our Dad, but usually on our own.  One of us would hold the net and the other would run through the creek to try and scare the minnows into the net.....................in our sneakers,  the only pair of shoes we had.  We walked those same creeks in the fall and winter trapping for muskrats and raccoon in those same sneakers...................we made up a song and sang it on the way home to try and take our minds off our frozen feet.   We got up early, around 430 to 5AM  to check and pull our traps before school.....................and when darkness fell, we did it again. 
     We both had paper routes for the Daily Intelligencer and when one of us got sick ............the other delivered newspapers on two routes.  When we were old enough to hunt, Tom and I went every chance we could.  At a very young age,  Tommy and I played together, as teenagers and well into adulthood.  We lived at 16 Norwyn Road in Hatboro.  We had endured so much together and as individuals.  Many times we went hungry and didn't have much clothing to wear.  Dad was usually not around and we often were left to make out for ourselves.  Nobody made sure you brushed your teeth, took a shower, had eaten or did your homework.  We went out early in the mornings and stayed out as late as we wanted...................we were on our own.  I guess we raised ourselves for the most part as far as "homelife" was concerned.....................................or maybe we raised each other.  Without my "brother born for adversity", I couldn't have survived those days.  He was the only person I could depend on,  someone that knew what living in that house was really like. He shared my hunger, embarrassment and pains. Maybe we were so close because of those things..........................who else could understand your circumstances better than your "twin".
      I have so many memories from my life and although the pain I feel from some of them haunts me still...................the warmth and love of many others brings tears to my eyes when I go back in time.  Tommy has turned out to be the smartest and most successful of our litter.  Although he has had to endure many of the hardships that befall all of us, he was still  there when I  needed him.  He opened his house for 4 years to me when I worked for CBSD.  From feeding me to financial aid......................he always stepped forward.   He hasn't changed much in 50 years.
     There is no way for me to express how grateful I am for Tommy.  He is not perfect.................but his attributes far outweigh any faults he may have.  I Love You, Thomas..................I couldn't have made it without you.
        Until the Next Time........................................God Bless.

No comments: